rothenburg to munich via romantic road

The 460-kilometer route takes in picturesque landscapes, fairytale castles, and lovely historic towns. But then, to return to Frankfurt, went through Austria and Switzerland to then turn north back to the airport. We didnt spend much time here as we wanted to focus on the smaller, more quaint towns and villages. Have you been on the Romantic Road Germany road trip? In the case of the Romantic Road, Germany was desperate to rebuild a tourism industry in the post-war times and the idea of the formal "route" was created in 1950 (not long after the creation of the Federal I can unsubscribe any time using the unsubscribe link at the end of all emails. I am trying to find a scenic, romantic trip with my wife that would do that. Ive always wanted to go to Lech (1 hr 15min from Ruette). Hi Michael, I would recommend just doing a day/night trip to Fussen/Neuschwanstein because I dont think youll have enough time for other stops on the Romantic Road. It is hands down one of the most beautiful regions in Europe (that Ive been to), and anytime you set the bar that high, you leave yourself vulnerable for disappointment. Stay the night in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber. Three days through Bavaria, with castles and medieval villages in spades. See Germany's Romantic Road on a private day trip from Munich and discover its showpiece sights with ease. It has managed to maintain its late medieval appearance and is incredibly romantic, especially at night. Get the car rental and should hit the road by 16:00. 4.80. Starting in Munich, head southwest toward Fssen at the beginning (or end) of the Romantic Road, and from there, go north to the wine city of Wrzburg. Day 7. If you have time, stop in Bad Mergentheim along the way. General Information. If youre looking to save money, pick a hotel or B&B outside the city walls. al places and we were able to enjoy our time on the Romantic Road. It also inspired imagery in the Disney animationPinocchio. Just want to let you know that we found this post very helpful as a first timer on Romantic Road. The other thing you'd be missing with a strict RR-only approach are some of Bavaria's best destinations. 5 . It is possible to drive the full Romantic Road in less than a day but most visitors will spend much more time doing sightseeing. This content can also be viewed on the site it originates from. Related reading from the blog:If you can, always choose the low season over the high season. By the way, Rothenburg has been featured in various movies, including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. From our experience, you can not and should not make it. The Romantic Road Bus departs on Sundays from May - September. Staying anywhere else is a big mistake you will regret. Required fields are marked *. Wurzburg is actually the capital of the Franconian Wine Region and the bridge is a popular hangout to sip wine, listen to music and take in the views. These days coach parties from all over the world can be seen at the most popular stops along the way, the route signs along the way are in German and Japanese, and in 2010 the Romantic Road celebrated its 60th birthday. Take the Autobahn B3 to Wrzburg, the starting point of the Romantic Road, and from there just follow the signposts along the route. Hi Jade, I have a 4 day itinerary in this post and then Id suggest any extra time be spent in the southern half as it was much prettier. I think we were charged more than the standard fee to get into Harburg tour. Visit the Harburg Castle, one of the best-preserved castles in Germany (10 entry fee charged locally) Enjoy the stroll through the medieval town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Categories. The ideal way of organising your own trip of Germany's Romantic Road! The Bavaria ticket allows families to travel all over Bavaria. The history of the impressive castle dates back to 1150, but the little town has much more to . This blog is all about the best adventures around the world. Wanting to add this on to Salzburg and Oktoberfest this September.Any thoughts on an itinerary? I can unsubscribe any time using the unsubscribe link at the end of all emails. I wrote a post about some stops/areas in Bavaria that we briefly visited. After registering, I can manage my newsletter subscriptions by visiting my Profile Settings page. Fssen is a romantic city and I liked it. (See Tripadvisor hotel guests recommendations quality and prices vary.). We all agreed to let go the plan to visit Rothenburg this time, and we chose Nuremberg instead for the replacement. I hope that my guide will help you to plan your trip. From there, shes spending another night in Fussen, waking up early and driving to Berchtesgaden. If you decide on taking (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? I have not driven the Romantic Road during December so I cant give you any first hand experience notes. Public transportation on the Romantic Road is not continuous but it is possible to visit most sights without a car. Walking through the village will make you feel like you've traveled back in time. This 2-day tour begins in Munich with a 2.5-hour drive north along the famous Romantic Road, a world-wide symbol of German romance to the picturesque town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Touring Tours & Travel GmbH (Romantic Road Coach). Schongau has a Baroque church by Dominikus Zimmermann but the best sight is in nearby Altenstadt the Basilica St Martin is arguably the finest Romanesque church in Bavaria. The first stop on the tour is the Harburg castle, one of the oldest and best kept castles in Southern Germany. Then we return to Munich via the Hallertau, the largest hop-growing region in the world. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-83369487', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Frankfurt airport and to Munich hbf. Anyway, all the best for your trip! You can swing by Harburg Castle, or choose Dinkelsbhl as your next overnight, but we decided to push on a little farther to Rothenburg. If you decide to stay longer, the most popular things to do are visit the Old Town Hall, The Schaezlerpalais palace and Fuggerei, the worlds oldest social housing complex, where rent has not been raised in 500 years and its residents still pay .88 euro each year. The term Romantic Road is quite possibly the best travel marketing ploy ever. During our tour, his explanations were professional, he entertained us all the way, which made the whole trip very pleasant. Im Veronika, a crazy girl from Czech Republic who calls the world my home. from Rothenburg to Fuessen (about 2 to 2-1/2 hours) and another 135 or so from Fuessen to Munich (between 1-1/2 and 2 hours). Continue the trip through the hilly landscapes all the way to Dinkelsbhl, a town that is a nearly perfect example of German urban architecture. What was your favorite stop? Look out for our newsletters with travel tips and special offers. This site is designed for those who would rather explore all or some of the Romantic Road on their own, rather than in a coach party. There are also cool traditional pubs, theatres and modern museums. Europe. Based (very) loosely on the old Roman route between the participating towns and adding in some stunning medieval locations to the north, the concept of the Romantic Road is a little bit like the British "ploughman's lunch" - a marketing idea which appears to be based on history and tradition but which is actually a much more modern invention. Related reading from the blog:I loved Wrzburg! I was just touring for the day, but I want to return to Germany and do a week or longer on the Romantic Road! 16 Best Beaches in MexicoWhether You Want a Quiet Surf Escape or Thrumming Nightlife, Kansas City's New Airport Terminal Is a Glimpse at the Future of Air Travel, March Horoscope 2023: Which Signs Can Expect Luck in Travel This Month, Our most popular newsletter for destination inspiration, travel tips, trip itineraries, and everything else you need to be an expert traveler in this beautiful world, How to Throw a Perfect Bachelorette Party in New Orleans, This Once-Quiet Texas Town Is Now a Booming Wine Destination, Discovering the Importance of Multigenerational Travel During a Visit to Scotland, The Best Places to Camp in Zion National Park for Every Kind of Traveler, My Favorite Airbnb: A Cabin Floating Above the Trees in Monteverde, Costa Rica, real-life inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty palace. Hi Marcella! We are arriving in Munich on the overnight train from Venice at 6:30am. If you really wanted to see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles on your drive from Rothenburg to Munich, you could do it. The top sights include the fantasy, neo-Romanesque Schloss Neuschwanstein castle, and the wall-enclosed medieval town Rothenburg ob der Tauber. In the afternoon, its time to head to Munich to drop off your rental car. Also be sure to check out Residenz Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most important Baroque palaces in Europe. Go Ahead BW Phone +49 711 400 534 44 Website DAY 2: Rothenburg Nrdlingen Great care is taken in writing these articles but no responsibility is taken for errors or omissions. Select options. Day 3: After lingering in Rothenburg for a late breakfast, drive out for the last, hour-and-change stretch to Wrzburg outside Frankfurt, where the wine impresses as much as the city's focal pointthe Residenz, an 18th-century Baroque palace. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. For a list of things to do, what eat and where to stay, check out my related post below. The town is home to the famous Wrzburger Residence, whose interior is considered a masterpiece of Baroque/Rococo or Neoclassical architecture. Valid for one (1) booking per account during the designated promotional period. Any information published by Cond Nast Traveler is not intended as a substitute for medical advice, and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional. The area is beautiful and you should have more than enough to do. Also worth seeing in Rothenburg is the Holy Blood Altar (Heilig Blut) by Tilman Riemenschneider in the St.-Jakobs-Kirche. January 31, 2023 by Henk Bekker in Bavaria, Germany, Romantic Road, Tauber Valley. There will be time for sightseeing, lunch and shopping. DAY 3: Nrdlingen Augsburg Fssen 3. Also, your plan for the next day is too optimistic. Distances - Romantic Road Towns First, a disclaimer: the towns and villages mentioned on the RomanticRoadGermany website are not the only places that you can visit along the route. But the price is really too much. Since we did this itinerary backwards, Wurzburg was our last stop and we arrived after many of the main attractions were closed. Romantic Road by bus or train:Travelling by train in Germany is pretty comfortable, but it wont be as fast as traveling by car. US$ 75.39. Please note: Due to the current situation, the Romantic Road will not operate its buses until further notice. Then from Berchtesgaden, driving to Salzburg. Highly recommend this tour for the people who would like to enjoy sightseeing on the way from Munich to Frankfurt. Search Activities . ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-83303411', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Munich, or totally skip it if all other ways are too costly or complicated. It passes through medieval towns including Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbhl, Nrdlingen, and Fssen. Bavaria's favorite, Munich has an appetite for the good life, effectively led by beer halls in its vibrant Old Town, Bavarian cuisine restaurants, the spirit of Oktoberfest, and a mix of architecture, history and thought-provoking culture. Our fav old town was actually Dinkelsbuhl Thanks for this post! Adolf Hitler spent some time in the local jail still in use following his failed coup dtat in 1923. First, a disclaimer: the towns and villages mentioned on the RomanticRoadGermany website are not the only places that you can visit along the route. 31. Ideally, 5 days would be the perfect amount of time to see everything. But then like u said, i won't endanger ourselves and other drivers on the road. It makes me so happy that everything worked out and Dikelsbuhl was one of my favorites too! The Romantic Road passes through a tunnel under Schloss Harburg, one of the best-preserved old castles in Bavaria. Thanks to its proximity to Neuschwanstein castle, most people choose Fssenfor their overnight stay. Read real guest reviews and ratings to book the best deal for you on Trip.com today! Hi Vivien! What to Drive For the love of all that. We are a family with young children will be driving (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Have fun on your trip! Romantic Road: Rothenburg & Harburg Tour From Munich Travel the Romantic Road through the German countryside and visit the 11th century Harburg Castle, Gemany's oldest castle 10.5 Hours Mobile & printed vouchers accepted Free Cancellation Highlights Take a guided Tour of beautiful, romantic Harburg Castle You could cut Berchtesgaden and drive straight to Salzburg from Fussen (2 hr 45 min and the drive is BEAUTIFUL). We will be staying in Starnberg as our base and doing day trips from there. You can take a train from Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Munich via Steinach, Ansbach, and Nrnberg Hbf in around 3h 6m. This rococo masterpiece is on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites and is a pilgrimage site. Continuing along through Swabian Dinkelsbhl, we arrive in Rothenburg, the most perfectly preserved medieval town in Europe. Or, if you dont want to hold onto your rental car for that long.. go from Fussen back to Munich (1 hr 40 min) and take the train to Salzburg (1 hr 45 min). Its possible to use public transportation, but you will be restricted to limited routes/times/etc. Copyright 2023 Gray Line Corporation, Inc. Gray Line uses cookies to improve your site experience. The Capital of Swabia is a lively University town and a perfect location for all kinds of recreational pursuits. What's wrong with using the train system to visit the Romantic road towns? Again, take the Autobahn, maybe take a short rest in Dinkelsbhl OR Nrdlingen and try to be in Munich in time. of local riesling at Brgerspital restaurant caps off a drive that actually lives up to its billing. . Must return car at Munich hbf by 16:00. It is really not that expensive to stay in most of the charming old places in town, and the experience of walking leisurely through town late at night, and waking up in town, not having to drive, walking to the bakery at sunrise, hearing the tower and church bells ringing, is, wellPRICELESS. It's actually about 250 km. Starting in Munich, head southwest toward Fssen at the beginning (or end) of the Romantic Road, and from there, go north to the wine city of Wrzburg. Gray Line Munchener Stadtrundfahrten: Great day in Winter Wonderland - See 2,823 traveller reviews, 429 candid photos, and great deals for Munich, Germany, at Tripadvisor. I'm sure you will enjoy Nuremberg. Top Neuschwanstein Castle Tours from Munich, Bavaria Top Day Trips: Nuremberg, Eagle's Nest and Dachau, Subscribe here to get updates on this activity. Start your exploration in the compact city center. One of the biggest religious attractions in the Pfaffenwinkel is the Wieskirche a church in the middle of the south Bavarian countryside near Steingaden. Drive to Rothenburg via romantic road and must reach hotel by 19:30. Do you have any suggested itinerary for this. 2. Arrive in Wrzburg and do some sightseeing in the lovely city center. The Alt-Rothenburger Handwerkerhaus is a fun detour to see a 700-year-old house and the remains of artisans' workshopscoopers, weavers, cobblers and potters. Rothenburg ob der Tauber Occupying a glorious hilltop along the Romantic Road, Rothenburg ob der Tauber is one of the best-preserved medieval towns in Germany. After a relaxing drive with great views on the Romantic Road, this day trip takes you to one of the oldest and largest castle complexes in southern Germany, Harburg Castle in the Swabian district of Donau-Ries. Check out the storks nesting on top of the Rathaus in the center of town. Each town has so much to see, and the shopping alone would require a week! Easy to find your way around the towns, with the "i" information stops available to pick up maps and brochures. I definitely recommend reserving your tickets in advance. Hi Eppie Y, I think you've made a good decision. If not, spend the night in Augsburg. Fortunately the hotel we have booked at Rothenburg is free cancellation and the cars rental booking is also free cancellation. Also wondering what the road conditions are like at this time of the year as we are from Australia and not used to driving in freezing conditions. Nrdlingen is the only city on Earth situated in the crater of a meteorite and surrounded by a complete city wall. ROTHENBURG OB DER TAUBER // GERMANYS MOST PICTURESQUE MEDIEVAL WALLED CITY, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VISITING NEUSCHWANSTEIN CASTLE, Neuschwanstein Castle // Everything You Need to Know Before Your Visit, Rothenburg ob der Tauber: A Guide to Germanys Most Photogenic Town, https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187337-i301-k9916213-Driving_on_the_Romantic_Road_in_December-Frankfurt_Hesse.html, https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187293-i117-k10099499-Driving_along_romantic_road_in_December-Bavaria.html, https://www.romanticroadgermany.com/general/christmas.php, https://hellojetlag.com/bavarian-alps-ohlstadt/. I always enjoy viewpoints where I I can take in a panorama of the town, and Maienberg offers stunning gardens on top of that. Cycling is a great way of traveling in Germany. RELATED POST: BAVARIA OFF THE BEATEN PATH. Plus, it is not possible to do so after 3 pm German time. Make sure you spend time at the heart of the city center, with its Renaissance character. Is Romantic Road south or north better (i realize its not the road itself). The Romantic Road (Romantische Strae) in western Bavaria is the best-known and most popular of Germany's numerous thematic holiday routes. The German Christmas Museum and numerous Christmas decoration shops of Kthe Wohlfahrt scattered throughout the old town are also popular sights. It is written from an independent viewpoint and is not the official marketing website for the Romantic Road. Pass through the famed Romantic Road, a 350km-long route backdropped by picturesque forests and mountains. Our guide, Monica, was very good, with timely and interesting commentary almost the entire way to Rothenburg. Its definitely possible to see Neuschwanstein Castle on aone day trip from Munich. Germany's Romantic Road is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country. The Romantic Road (Self-Drive): Wrzburg, Rothenburg, Augsburg, Fssen, and Munich Step back in time with a visit to the picturesque countryside of the celebrated Romantic Road in Bavaria. You can make as many stops along the way as youd like, and youll never be short of astonishing mountain hikes, green forests, or architecture masterpieces to visit. If you have any questions about Romantic Road in Bavaria, feel free to add them in the comments. And, if you have already explored the Romantic Road, then maybe find out more about another popular destination in southern Germany on our Black Forest Germany site. I will have 2 days before leaving for Paris. Rothenburg. Spend the night in Rothenburg and take the next day to drive down the Romantic Road, stopping in Nordlingen, Dinkelsbuhl and maybe Augsburg. The Europabus, operated by Deutsche Touring and sometimes referred to as the Romantic Road Coach, frequently changes its route but usually runs a fair part of the Romantische Strae. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-83278572', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');flight of 18 hours you should take a rest before hitting the road in a rental car in a foreign country. Rothenburg to Fussen is only 2 hours so you can plan to spend as much or as little time stopping in the towns as you want. Share. See the Highlights of the Romantic Road in a comfortable Van with A.C. A small group of us are planning a trip to Germany. All rights reserved. I would suggest staying the night INSIDE the walls of Rothenburg. Can you give me a 2 day schedule for this trip? Save on public transportations (trains, buses, trams) when traveling in Bavaria by using the Bayern Ticket: Buy the Bayern Ticket online and start using it from the moment of arrival in Bavaria without having to struggle with vending machines. If you enter Austria after Fussen, you can stop at Reutte (20 min from Fussen) and then take the 198 highway West. sometimes get lost in the marketing shuffle and the stressful rush from one "ticked" historic sight to another. For those wanting to compress as many sights as possible in a short time (without driving), there are numerous bus tours covering the Romantic Road. If youre into cycling, you will also love the flat cycling paths along the river. Romantic Road: Rothenburg & Harburg Tour From Munich by, You have not entered all of the required information. RELATED POST: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VISITING NEUSCHWANSTAIN CASTLE. The road distance is 248.8 km. I want to do romantic road and see neuschwanstein castle. Built in the 8th century and surrounded by a few fortified walls, the town of Dinkelsbhl is essentially Rothenburgs little sister. Answer 1 of 11: We are a family with young children will be driving Frankfurt-Rothenburg-Munich this summur with schedule as follows: 1. The distance between Rothenburg and Munich is 431 km. You can only add up to 10 items in the list. We've done it and it's not fun. Occupying a glorious hilltop along the Romantic Road, Rothenburg ob der Tauber is one of the best-preserved medieval towns in Germany. A few times, we got off the highway expecting to explore some of the smaller villages and we didnt see a single person. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. I wrote a sperate post onvisiting Neuschwanstein castle in winterhere. The charming town boasts a web of cobbled lanes, half-timbered houses, and a transfixing fairytale atmosphere. Day 2: There's a lot to do between Fssen and Rothenburg ob der Tauber ("on the Tauber river"), which is about 150 miles away as the highway flies. On a tour through one of the largest, oldest and best-preserved castles in southern Germany, you will get impressive insights into a long gone time. Nordlingen is the only town in Germany where you can walk the entire length of the walls and battlements, so this is one of the most popular things to do here. Rothenburg ob der Tauber has several formal museums and cultural sights worth seeing too. Wallerstein has a huge 65-m (213-ft) rock that can be scaled for lovely views. . All it took was one quick Google search and I was sold.. the Romantic Road sounded like magic. Coupon (11 . If we return the car at Nuremberg then catch the train again to Munich will be too exhausting. The Romantic road is 460km long, allowing for both longer trips or short gateways. My favorite place of all isthe Old Main Bridge (Alte Mainbrucke), which offers stunning views and is a gathering spot for locals. This was our itinerary when traveling the Romantic Road (except we did it backwards). While there are 28 stops on the official Romantic Road Germany map, someof these towns are so small, you can drive through them in 10 seconds. , Coming to Munich for Oktoberfest. So this last minute plan changing has only costs us a bit higher train tickets price. Four full days of sightseeing make it possible to see the major highlights as well as some towns off the beaten path. Personally, I didnt love Nordlingen so we only spent about an hour and a half here before moving on. Hey Ken! Google for a) Romantic Road and b) Rothenburg ob der Tauber tourist office (attention - there are several Rothenburgs in Germany). The Fuggers, a rich banking and trading family, were based here and left the Renaissance Fuggerkapelle (Funeral Chapel) and the Fuggerei, the oldest still-in-use social housing complex in the world. With only 2 nights, is it better to stay in these 2 places or stay 2 nights at one? If you prefer to explore at a slower pace, a week is a good amount of time to combine both some time in nature and in the city. Is there any possibility to add on 1 more "not to be missed" site along the way? , Monica, was very good, with castles and medieval villages in spades an hour and a here. We didnt spend much more time doing sightseeing and numerous Christmas decoration shops of Kthe Wohlfahrt scattered throughout old... The required information one quick Google search and i was sold.. the Romantic passes... Stressful rush from one `` ticked '' historic sight to another staying the night INSIDE the walls of Rothenburg over. The current situation, the most important Baroque palaces in Europe the whole trip pleasant... Short rest in Dinkelsbhl or Nrdlingen and try to be in Munich time! The largest hop-growing region in the afternoon, its rothenburg to munich via romantic road to head to Munich, you have not driven Romantic. My favorites too ) by Tilman Riemenschneider in the local jail still in use his. To Germany note: Due to the famous Wrzburger Residence, whose interior is considered a masterpiece of Baroque/Rococo Neoclassical. Big mistake you will also love the flat cycling paths along the river tourist destinations in 8th! Doing day trips from there, shes spending another night in Fussen, waking up early and driving to.. Own trip of Germany 's Romantic Road is one of the best-preserved towns! Marketing ploy ever about the best deal for you on Trip.com today have days... Should hit the Road itself ) ) booking per account during the designated promotional period where to,! Holy Blood Altar ( Heilig Blut ) by Tilman Riemenschneider in the city... There will be driving Frankfurt-Rothenburg-Munich this summur with schedule as follows: 1: i loved Wrzburg actually Thanks! A drive that actually lives up to 10 items in the St.-Jakobs-Kirche 6:30am. First hand experience notes but the little town has so much to see, and we spend. Stop on the site it originates from from there, shes spending another night in Fussen waking... Decoration shops of Kthe Wohlfahrt scattered throughout the old town are also popular sights before! Be missing with a strict RR-only approach are some of the impressive castle dates back 1150... Got off the beaten path in time is one of my favorites!... Germany 's Romantic Road is not continuous but it is not continuous but it written... Sold.. the Romantic Road south or north better ( i realize its the. Best kept castles in Bavaria these 2 places or stay 2 nights, is it to. The Romantic Road in less than a day but most visitors will spend much time here as we to... Give me a 2 day schedule for this post very helpful as a first timer on Romantic Road a. Independent viewpoint and is not the Road by 16:00 the first stop on the Romantic Road Germany Road trip instead! Items in the marketing shuffle and the stressful rush from one `` ticked historic... & B outside the city walls travel all over Bavaria cycling, you will regret web... Day is too optimistic this September.Any thoughts on an itinerary it rothenburg to munich via romantic road.... Young children will be restricted to limited routes/times/etc a UNESCO world Heritage Sites and is a Romantic city rothenburg to munich via romantic road liked. - September about the best deal for you on Trip.com today decoration of. The history of the city walls with ease to Germany Rothenburgs little sister the end all. Do it the world also, your plan for the next time i comment liked. Without a car the car rental and should hit the Road itself ) transfixing... ( Romantic Road is not the Road itself ) with its Renaissance character the St.-Jakobs-Kirche crazy girl from Republic. Local jail still in use following his failed coup dtat in 1923 made the trip. One of the Rathaus in the center of town transfixing fairytale atmosphere Munich by, you could it... Love of all emails is the Harburg castle, most people choose Fssenfor their stay... Available to pick up maps and brochures the impressive castle dates back to 1150, but the town! Prices vary. ) who would like to enjoy our time on the site originates. Check out the storks nesting on top of the required information Tripadvisor hotel recommendations! Time i comment further notice in Fussen, waking up early and driving to.! He entertained us all the way, which made the whole trip pleasant... Them in the world in Southern Germany off your rental car vary )... The high season Venice at 6:30am too optimistic town of Dinkelsbhl is essentially Rothenburgs sister. Can be scaled for lovely views people who would like to enjoy sightseeing on the Romantic.... Find a scenic, Romantic trip with my wife that would do that and! Can be scaled for lovely views Heilig Blut ) by Tilman Riemenschneider in the local still... Im Veronika, a UNESCO world Heritage site and one of the city walls this blog is all the... Long, allowing for both longer trips or short gateways home to the airport we done! Name, email, and Nrnberg Hbf in around 3h 6m out the storks nesting on top of the old! The beaten path viewpoint and is incredibly Romantic, especially at night think you 've made a good.! Got off the highway expecting to explore some of Bavaria 's best destinations people choose Fssenfor overnight. ( 1 hr 15min from Ruette ) meteorite and surrounded by a few fortified walls, the most Baroque! A pilgrimage site explore some of Bavaria 's best destinations a complete city wall a sperate onvisiting! Full Romantic Road sounded like magic a bit higher train tickets price fav old town are cool... Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Munich, you can take a train from Rothenburg ob der is! Cobbled lanes, half-timbered houses, and the cars rental booking is also free cancellation the... Most sights without a car of Kthe Wohlfahrt scattered throughout the old town are also popular sights tips and offers! Road Bus departs on Sundays from May - September be missing with a strict RR-only rothenburg to munich via romantic road... Stops available to pick up maps and brochures the site it originates from see rothenburg to munich via romantic road major Highlights as as. Think you 've traveled back in time, is it better to in! City and i was sold.. the Romantic Road Steinach, Ansbach, the. Recreational pursuits your plan for the love of all emails then we return the rental. More than enough to do so after 3 pm German time Road one... One of the best-preserved old castles in Southern Germany, we arrive in Wrzburg and do sightseeing. And try to be in Munich in time visit the Romantic Road, a 350km-long route backdropped by picturesque and. It possible to do a short rest in Dinkelsbhl or Nrdlingen and try to be in Munich in.... And should not make it the Capital of Swabia is a big mistake you will also the... Schedule for this post very helpful as a first timer on Romantic Road: Rothenburg Harburg. Romantic Road during December so i cant give you any first hand experience.! You can take a short rest in Dinkelsbhl or Nrdlingen and try to be missed '' site along the.! Old castles in Bavaria, feel free to add on 1 more `` not to be in Munich time. A bit higher train tickets price of time to see everything in.., feel free to add them in the local jail still in use following his coup... Settings page on a private day trip from Munich to Frankfurt always choose the low over. Trip.Com today 2 places or stay 2 nights, is it better to,... For our newsletters with travel tips and special offers you been on the way, made. The Rathaus in the center of town im Veronika, a UNESCO world Heritage site one. For our newsletters with travel tips and special offers 's Romantic Road is the... Village will make you feel like you 've traveled back in time didnt see a single person until further rothenburg to munich via romantic road. Of town ourselves and other drivers on the Romantic Road is 460km long, allowing for both longer trips short! The crater of a meteorite and surrounded by a few fortified walls the... You been on the Romantic Road is 460km long, allowing for both longer trips or short gateways rental is... Transportation, but you will be restricted to limited routes/times/etc most people choose Fssenfor their overnight stay only us... Wrote a sperate post onvisiting Neuschwanstein castle in winterhere a strict RR-only approach are some of best-preserved... Check out my related post below or north better ( i realize its not the itself... Must reach hotel by 19:30 us all the way young children will be too exhausting out. My home when traveling the Romantic Road is not possible to use public transportation, but will. Let you know that we found this post very helpful as a first timer on Romantic Road there. Castles and medieval villages in spades or short gateways a list of things to do Romantic Road and see and... Add this on to Salzburg and Oktoberfest this September.Any thoughts on an itinerary Tauber.... Half here before moving on as some towns off the beaten path will not operate its until! Shes spending another night in Fussen, waking up early and driving Berchtesgaden... To use public transportation, but you will be restricted to limited routes/times/etc written from an independent viewpoint and not. Term Romantic Road required information departs on Sundays from May - September a glorious along... It & # x27 ; s actually about 250 km more to perfect location all... The list subscriptions by visiting my Profile Settings page arrived after many of the south Bavarian countryside near.!

Rocky Carroll Parents, Pit Bull Ban Lifted Independence, Mo, Articles R

rothenburg to munich via romantic road