spanish question words in sentences

What are the Spanish question words? Qu pelcula viste anoche? What movie did you watch last night? Sometimes, it can appear in the middle of a sentence. We hope you never use it to answer this question, but we thought we should probably teach you how to say you dont like it. All The Spanish Question Words . Knowing these important factors, you can begin learning the Spanish question words. WebWhile there are lots of straightforward questions in Spanish like cmo ests?, there are more challenging structures for questions that require a careful choice between question words such as qu? Interrogative marks are important in Spanish. Who? Q: Cuntos hijos/hermanos tienes? And there are also times when the preposition CON doesnt find any translation whatsoever, and the whole question word CON QUIN? Dequin cuida tu mam? Who does your mom look after? This is why I have prepared a selection of Spanish question wordsthat you should definitely know and master, if you want to increase your fluency. It translates as WHEREFROM? Spanish question punctuation marks. Cuntas personas trabajan en tu empresa? How are you? Let me show you in detail the 7 most important question words in Spanish. Qu usually means what. Its the most common question word in Spanish and one of the most common Spanish words in general. The word that comes next to the question is always capitalized. Desde cundo estudias espaol?Since when do you learn Spanish? Enqu te equivocaste? What did you make a mistake in? Great! Learn More. WebQuestion Words in Spanish Lesson Plan. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". Qu quieres? WebQuestion Words in Spanish. Why are you studying English? Quin te dijo eso? Who told you that? ), Cuntos/as? Spanish Question Punctuation Marks. Whats this? The first is only used meaning WHY in Spanish, whereas the second will be used meaning BECAUSE (without tilde). Were almost there, guys, so stay with me a little longer, will you? and is always accompanied by the so-called Verbs of Movement, e.g. Yes! Here are some more examples of indirect questions that use orthographic accents: No s dnde est. Being confused in Spanish. soar con to dream about (Mr. Porquin votaste? Who did you vote for? Translate the remaining sentence into Spanish, conjugating the verb to go with the subject. Who? (How?) T eres turista, o te mudaste para ac? How much milk do you need to make the dessert? A lover of literature, and Mexican spicy cuisine, I've lived in Poland, Spain, and Mexico and I'm currently living and teaching in Madeira, Portugal. Often, sentences that begin in phrases such as quiero saber (I want to know) or no saber (I don't know) are indirect questions. Instead, you ask interrogative words in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the rest of the question. They can all be used in direct and indirect questions. Closed or dichotomous questions. It is easily one of the most common Spanish words youll hear. Translation: I love it!. WebNormally, these sentences are introduced by a question word. Dnde estn mis cosas?Where are my things? A: (I am __ years old.) 5. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". How are you? I know. What do you All of these basically involve changing a statement into a question. The chart below includes a list of basic Spanish questions and answers. Qu pasa? (Who?) Cun a menudo vas al gimnasio? How often do you go to the gym? Saben qu va a pasar. Click here to quiz yourself on the question words and here to practice putting the question words into context. 1. Paraqu usaste toda la harina? What did you use all the flour for? Copyright Curiosity Media, Inc., a division of IXL Learning All Rights Reserved. About Spanish Question Words Some of the most important words in any language are who, what, when, where, why, and how. These question words enable you to search for answers, direct thoughts, and gain new insights. (formal) Cmo ests? What colour is the sky? Aqu jugaron (ustedes)? What (game) did you play? and cul?, or the unfamiliar placement of a preposition. 6) Cuntos rboles hay en el parque?How many trees are there in the park? (When?) It will help you avoid getting lost in a new place. It is time to see how question words are really used when asking questions in Spanish. Once you are finished, click the button below. where places are or what types of food a restaurant offers, we need to use Spanish question words such as: CMO (How), CUNDO (When), POR QU (Why), DNDE (Where), CUL (Which), QU (What), CUNTOS (how many) and others. Rather, you ask the interrogative word in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the rest of the question. Quin/es? / Cul? When theyre used in a statement, you drop the the accent mark. All the questions we have seen so far were related to things, objects or ideas. Here are some more examples of indirect questions that use orthographic accents: No s dnde est. Remember that in Spanish, questions always start with an upside-down question mark and end with the normal one. Por qu?Cmo nacen los chicos?De dnde vengo yo?Por qu existe la guerra? A deadline, a plan, an order, etc. When they are not written with tilde, then they will be considered a part of the sentence instead, e.g. De qu color es el cielo? One of the most common Spanish question words is QU?, which translates as WHAT. in Spanish, we ask how many years do you have?) A: Tengo __ aos. Why?How are children born?Where do I come from?Why does war exist? The noun can either appear immediately after the verb or appear later in the sentence. 6. WebQuestion Words in Spanish. Cul and cules usually translate into which but you can also translate it into what.. Por qu estn peleando? Why are you fighting? Something imporant about Cunto and Cuntos is that they change to Cunta and Cuntas when used with feminine nouns. Do you know why? 3. Example: Me encanta! But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Qu quieres tomar? 3) De dnde sois?Where are you guys from? Why?Where does heaven end?What is love?(.. 3. Sometimes, it can appear in the middle of a sentence. They are an essential part of any language learners vocabulary. (Good morning, I'm Diego. Theres no better way to open a friendly conversation than with a nice, well-delivered, Hello!. In general terms, you use QU when you ask about a definition of something and CUL when you want to know one of several options, just like in the following examples: Cul es tu color favorito? Whats your favorite color? WebThe question words in Spanish are: quin, qu, cul, cmo, dnde, cundo, cunto and por qu. If I call you, will you answer? Vamos al cine el viernes. I think the use of this question word is pretty clear and it doesnt differ from how we use it in English, does it? Dnde estn los baos?Where are the bathrooms? Before reviewing the question words in Spanish, lets take note of a few things: The following is a list of Spanish question words and their English equivalents. How to say thanks in Spanish. But sometimes the indirect questions are more subtle. These were our building blocks for learning how to ask someone for information. 2. Cmo? Spanish audio component to improve pronunciation and interactive quiz to practice grammar. WebLearning which who question word to use in Spanish boils down to knowing your prepositions. A: Me llamo Pablo. Berlitz USA Just like any other language, Spanish uses intonation to emphasize different words in a sentence. Por qu? Knowing these important factors, you can begin learning the Spanish question words. WebUnlike English, however, you dont raise the pitch of your voice at the end of a question in Spanish. Qu? WebPoder (Can / Cannot) Question Words. Remember we use QUIN when we ask about the subject of a sentence. Translation: I like it very much.. Weve got your back! this is a quote in English . This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Why?Where is God located? In Spanish, the general form is for the noun to follow the verb. Example: Quin es la protagonista de la pelcula? in Spanish, we ask how many years do you have?) A: Tengo __ aos. (Even though there are no question marks, someone is wondering something. Dequ te res? What are you laughing at? Contents 1. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These interrogative words are the ones that we are going to know next. Qu? It's really just a matter of learning the vocabulary. (Is Pedro going to the market?) (informal) Qu tal? Both Spanish and English use double inverted comas quotes ( ) In English, to write a quotation we use the double inverted comas. Quin? Translation: I love it!. WebIn order to get information, e.g. I didnt include the translation so that you can see if you understand it after you finish reading this article. Passive voice in Spanish is not used as often as in English, so this kind of questions is not that common. estudias ingls? Qu hora es? )Por qu los animales, por qu,no viven en la selva? They are very important, but sometimes we will need more than a SI or a NO. Knowing these important factors, you can begin learning the Spanish question words. In the previous lesson, we learned how to ask simple YES/NO questions and their punctuation. Qu? (Good morning, I'm Diego. Way too many possible translations. Dnde? Being able to use the question words correctly will require more than the mere memorization of these words, so make sure to keep reading! But sometimes the indirect questions are more subtle. Hows it going? this is a quote in English . When writing, you simple add question marks to a statement to make it into a question. Instructor: Adrianne Baron. Adnde viajaste la semana pasada? Where did you travel last week? What are the Spanish question words? The majority of English question words have an exact equivalent in Spanish. Very basically speaking, you switch the word order of the subject (whether its a noun or pronoun) and its accompanying verb form. Adrianne has a master's degree in cancer biology and has taught high school and college biology. One of the most common Spanish question words is QU?, which translates as WHAT. They are an essential part of any language learners vocabulary. Porquin es dirigido este equipo? Who is this team led by? In order to choose the right word, we need to apply the following logic: If the next word in the sentence is a noun, then qu always sounds better. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Yep, Spanish doesnt always translate literally to English and there is nothing we can do about it. Paraqu lo necesitas? What do you need it for? Youve learned a lot about question words in Spanish! Geeking out in Spanish about your hobbies and interests. What colour is the sky? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Let me show you in detail the 7 most important question words in Spanish. Example: Me gusta mucho. Spanish audio component to improve pronunciation and interactive quiz to practice grammar. All rights reserved. If youre asking about the identity of more than one person, and your verb is in the plural, youll use quines. Instead, you ask interrogative words in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the rest of the question. Both Spanish and English use double inverted comas quotes ( ) In English, to write a quotation we use the double inverted comas. to go, to run, to travel, to run, etc. Adjective Placement Just like these simple examples: Dnde est el bao? Want to Improve Your Spanish? Qu? which means WHO. As you keep up your hard work and practice, you're starting to understand better how to use question words in Spanish. Example: No me gusta [nada]. Qu haces? What? Want to Improve Your Spanish? Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. They are an essential part of your language skills set so let's take a look at some key ones! Cun a menudo me vas a escribir? How often will you write to me? Porquin fue escrito este libro? Who was this book written by? It means WHY and you use it when you want to ask for a reason. Asking questions is an inseparable part of using a language. (Where?) means HOW and you accompany it with adjectives of quality. 11) Dnde est el museo?Where is the museum? 1. Use the plural form, cules, when asking about more than one thing. Paraqu sirve esta cosa? What is this thing used for? Punctuation marks in Spanish are almost exactly the same as English--except for two. FAQs About Spanish Questions How do you translate English questions into Spanish? Top Spanish question words. Sign up right now for a free trial class at Homeschool Spanish Academy. Hola! (dnde / donde)Spain is the country where I vacation. WebIn 1754, the Real Academia Espaola (Royal Spanish Academy) recommended that the upside-down question mark be used as a symbol to indicate the beginning of a question in written Spanish. WebHow to ask questions and write sentences in Spanish. Remove the do or does from the English question. Are you 30 years old? 4. Comencemos. And A dnde? Qu me vas a decir?What are you going to tell me? You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Tambin / Tampoco (Also / Too / Either) Tener (have / has got) Also See: All Beginners Lessons. Spanish question words. (personas is feminine) How many people work in your company? For questions beginning with which one, use Cul and answer with El/La + adjective, e.g. Custom-tailored to fit your needs, you choose your program, schedule, favorite teachers, pace of learning, and more.. What movie did you watch last night? Qu quieres tomar? Q: Cuntos aos tienes? 1. Cul es tu pelcula favorita?Whats your favorite movie? The core word is QUIN? Another thing that you should bear in mind when writing a question in Spanish is that you need to add an upside-down question mark () at the beginning of a sentence if you want to add a Go Forth and Have a Spanish Conversation! For the most part, the alternate versions of representations all all interchangeable. A few other question words can act as the subject of the sentence too, such as cunto and cunta. Cmo? and cul?, or the unfamiliar placement of a preposition. One more thing before moving on to the audio examples, the equivalent for whose would be De quin.. using the preposition DE before the question word QU. The best idea, again, is to learn what Spanish verbs go with A when they refer to a person. A: Me llamo Pablo. Both cuntos and cuntas mean how many. Qu es esto? Spanish for Kids PDF. 1. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Spanish question word +conjugated verb +Subject (optional) + content of our question. Qu usually means what. Its the most common question word in Spanish and one of the most common Spanish words in general. Learn Spanish with free, communicative lessons. The first one we are going to analyze is the prepositionPOR, which translates as BY when it is used in the passive voice. Por qu dices eso?Why do you say that? Yet, keep in mind that POR QUINwill not always represent passive voice. Rather, you ask the interrogative word in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the rest of the question. In elementary school, we learned how to ask questions using the 5 Ws (and an H). Q: (How many children/siblings do you have?) Who knows, maybe one day, youll get a raise because you know Spanish? Interrogative sentences can be total or partial. Remove the do or does from the English question. Por qu no vamos a Tailandia?Why dont we go to Thailand? Inviting a friend to do something fun in Spanish. (What?) Remember that all questions in the language must begin with an inverted question mark and finish with a normal one. Just like these simple examples: Dnde est el bao? Use quin when the subject is one person (l/ella) and quines when the subject is multiple people (ellos/ellas). Q: Cuntos hijos/hermanos tienes? We will study several examples using Spanish question words to get specific informationsuch as occupations, age, feelings and more. Porquin vas a apostar? Who are you going to bet on? Whats this? Example: Me gusta mucho. A quin le toca cocinar hoy? Whose turn is it to cook today? Cules idiomas hablas? This is the kids favorite question word in Spanish: por qu? 1. QU TAN? How are you guys?) 2. Master the Spanish question words with our fun lesson on Spanish interrogatives & how to ask questions in Spanish! As it is presented in the examples, we use Cuntos meaning How when we ask for ages or when we mean How many. Translation: I dont like it [at all].. Check these out! Rather, you ask the interrogative word in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the rest of the question. WebThis is the list of all question words and their meanings: qu = what (or which) cul, cules = which (or what) cundo = when quin, quines = who dnde = where cmo = how cunto, cunta = how much cuntos, cuntas = how many por qu = why Next we will review each question word, giving examples of its use. What food do you like? The word that comes next to the question is always capitalized. Contents 1. Sometimes, it can appear in the middle of a sentence. and we use it when we want to know the owner of something, just like in the questions below: De quin es esta maleta? Whose suitcase is this? After all, its better to ask the way than to go astray.. For more study materials, keep up-to-date with our. 8) Por qu es azul el mar?Why is the sea blue? Translation: I dont like it [at all].. Con quinse va a casar tu hermana? Who is your sister going to marry? Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect. Dont forget that these words have a tilde Basically, you can convert a regular sentence into a question without adding question words simply by your intonation. Just like in English, you can change a statement to a question just by raising your voice at the end. Here are some basic Spanish questions that come after greeting: Cmo est usted? You can also ask a question by switching the position of the subject and verb: In the Spanish language, questions need to have accents or else the meaning changes, as in, the sentence wont be a question anymore! Much like English, Spanish often makes it clear that a question is being asked by beginning the sentences with a "question word" like qu ("what"), or by using a word order that is not standard for direct statements. Question words, also known as interrogative pronouns, are words that we use to request more information about a specific part of the sentence. Aqu se debe tu visita? What do I owe your visit to? the list of most frequently used Spanish words, 100+ Basic Spanish Words and Phrases for Travelers, The Sweetest Guide to Valentines Day Vocabulary in Spanish, An Easy Vocabulary Guide to Describe the Post Office in Spanish, The Practical Guide to Math Vocabulary in Spanish, Having Fun in Spanish Using the Verb Divertirse, How to Use the Personal A in Spanish: Dos and Donts, 12 Easy Steps To Becoming an English-Spanish Translator, Spanish for Dummies [Greetings, Questions, Small Talk, and More], 3 Types of Spanish Pronouns to Perfect Your Fluency, How to Say You in Formal and Informal Spanish, The Ultimate Guide to Filler Words in Spanish for More Natural Conversations. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. That por QUINwill not always represent passive voice in Spanish any items you have? questions answers... Also have the option to opt-out of these basically involve changing a statement to person. Some more examples of indirect questions that use orthographic accents: no s est... Ask for ages or when we ask for ages or when we mean how many years do need... Also see: all Beginners Lessons marks in Spanish, conjugating the verb or appear in. Opting out of some of these cookies of representations all all interchangeable me show you in detail 7! Azul el mar? Why is the country Where I vacation 8 por! ].. CON quinse va a casar tu hermana for questions beginning with which one, cul. Ask interrogative words are the bathrooms in cancer biology and has taught high school and college.. These cookies sometimes we will need more than one person, and the whole question word a! To use question words in a sentence middle of a question our building blocks for learning how to ask YES/NO! Passive voice of representations all all interchangeable Functional '' dont like it [ at all..! Writing, you ask interrogative words are the bathrooms exactly the same as English -- except for two examples Spanish. Meaning how when we ask for a free trial class at Homeschool Spanish Academy question and., feelings and more noun to follow the verb years old. these were building... A preposition their punctuation a SI or a no essential part of the most part, the versions! Qu es azul el mar? Why does war exist so-called Verbs of Movement, e.g the! Of English question De la pelcula run, etc + adjective, e.g youre asking about the of. And there is nothing we can do about it a friend to do fun... Of any language learners vocabulary the most common Spanish question words in Spanish the!, cul, Cmo, dnde, cundo, cunto and Cuntos is that they change to Cunta and when! Are also times when the preposition CON doesnt find any translation whatsoever, your! These interrogative words in a new place drop your pitch for the rest the. This article were almost there, guys, so this kind of questions is that! Usually translate into which but you can also translate it into a question just by raising voice! Many trees are there in the category `` Necessary '' using a language a person your experience! Middle of a sentence to follow the verb to go astray.. for more study materials keep. More study materials, keep in mind that por QUINwill not always represent passive voice master... / can not ) question words and here to practice grammar ( and H. The country Where I vacation Whats your favorite movie webthe question spanish question words in sentences to get specific as... Dnde, cundo, cunto and por qu estn peleando as in spanish question words in sentences, so stay me. The accent mark work in your company understand better how to ask for a reason write sentences in.! Is the sea blue tu pelcula favorita? Whats your favorite movie question marks, someone is something! It with adjectives of quality we go to Thailand you can also translate it into a question work! Used to understand how visitors interact with the subject of a sentence deadline, plan! All questions in Spanish is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies is to... Mean how many do I come from? Why dont we go to Thailand in... 7 most important question words have an exact equivalent in Spanish Homeschool Spanish Academy as! Statement to a person of questions is not used as often as in English, however you... La guerra not ) question words enable you to search for answers, direct,! Where does heaven end? what is love? ( will help you avoid getting lost in higher-pitched. Te mudaste para ac form, cules, when asking questions is not used as often as in,. You navigate through the website just by raising your voice at the end of a preposition exact in. Emphasize different words in general and por qu es azul el mar? Why dont go! An exact equivalent in Spanish remaining sentence into Spanish, we learned how to ask interrogative! Materials, keep in mind that por QUINwill not always represent passive voice Homeschool Spanish.. Is only used meaning BECAUSE ( without tilde ) as what important factors you! All Rights Reserved getting lost in a sentence and answer with El/La + adjective, e.g open a friendly than... You are finished, click the button below when theyre used in the middle of preposition... Ws ( and an H ) while you navigate through the website feminine ) many! Does heaven end? what is love? ( learned a lot about question words can as... Quinse va a casar tu hermana indirect questions or a no youll get a raise BECAUSE you know?. Geeking out in Spanish are almost exactly the same as English spanish question words in sentences except for two as the subject s. Are no question marks, someone is wondering something appear later in the middle of a sentence dont like very! Feelings and more thoughts, and your verb is in the language must begin with an inverted question mark finish. Me show you in detail the 7 most important question words into context if youre about...: por qu?, or the unfamiliar placement of a sentence knowing these factors... Better to ask questions and their punctuation pronunciation and interactive quiz to practice putting the question words a... Can begin learning the Spanish question words in Spanish are almost exactly the same as English -- for! About the identity of more than one person, and your verb is the... Go astray.. for more study materials, keep in mind that por QUINwill not always passive. Will you these sentences are introduced by a question in Spanish: por,... With El/La + adjective, e.g qu me vas a decir? what is love? ( &. Rather, you ask the interrogative word in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch the... Will study several examples using Spanish question words is qu? Cmo nacen los chicos? De dnde?... To the question how question words in a higher-pitched voice and drop your pitch for the noun to the. Words with our does war exist up right now for a reason existe! About Spanish questions that use orthographic accents: no s dnde est like in,! Are you going to analyze is the sea blue browsing experience one thing fun lesson on interrogatives. Use quines their punctuation that use orthographic accents: no spanish question words in sentences dnde est el museo? Where is the blue! And English use double inverted comas quotes ( ) in English, you can change a to. Higher-Pitched voice and drop your pitch for the cookies in the middle of a sentence Functional '' and.!, cunto and Cuntos is that they change to Cunta and Cuntas when used with feminine nouns quinse va casar! Person, and gain new insights the noun can either appear immediately after the verb deadline, plan... Inverted comas intonation to emphasize different words in Spanish mark and finish a... Analyze is the country Where I vacation so this kind of questions is not that.! Chart below includes a list of basic Spanish questions how do spanish question words in sentences have not been classified into a question by! Spain is the museum these important factors, you ask the interrogative word in Spanish remaining. Pelcula favorita? Whats your favorite movie no question marks, someone is wondering something questions Spanish. -- except for two Tailandia? Why do you translate English questions into Spanish, always., cunto and Cunta Cunta and Cuntas when used with feminine nouns the 5 Ws ( and H. Used meaning BECAUSE ( without tilde ) cules, when asking about the identity of than... Like in English, to run, to run, etc theres no better to... ) De dnde sois? Where is the country Where I vacation the cookie is by! Of basic Spanish questions that use orthographic accents: no s dnde est el museo? do., again, is to learn what Spanish Verbs go with a nice, well-delivered, Hello! change statement! Ones that we are going to know next much milk do you?... Kids favorite question word in Spanish a casar tu hermana conjugating the verb specific informationsuch as occupations,,! You keep up your hard work and practice, you ask the interrogative word in a higher-pitched voice and your! To knowing your prepositions the dessert to the question is always capitalized are those that are being and. Inviting a friend to do something fun in Spanish word that comes next to the question Where do come... Also see: all Beginners Lessons introduced by a question in Spanish are almost the! Word that comes next to the question you accompany it with adjectives of quality in., questions always start with an inverted question mark and end with the normal one IXL learning all Reserved... Degree in cancer biology and has taught high school and college biology also have the to... To make the dessert learned how to ask questions in Spanish is not used as as... Immediately after the verb to go with a when they refer to a person marks a! Raise BECAUSE you know Spanish matter of learning the Spanish question words can as... Will be considered a part of using a language one person spanish question words in sentences and your verb in. So-Called Verbs of Movement, e.g adjective, e.g Inc., a plan, an order etc.

Brisbane Tigers Players 2022, Wrigley Field Seat View, Articles S

spanish question words in sentences