henry kaserne munich germany

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that small farm town? In Hanau and Aschaffenburg Sep 70-Sep73 695th Med Co & 9th General Dispensary. To Bolds went the honor of driving the first racer down the specially constructed ramp. Detachment commander is Capt Vernoin H. Shively. All requests must be sent from an official email address such as a .mil, .gov or .deca address. Concurrent with the arrival of the two Ft. Bragg units, the two 24th Division airborne units returned to the States and were subsequently replaced by two infantry battle groups: The other men were guys I was in Medic School with. My best friend was William C. Hailey of Wichita Falls, Texas. ]BTW--If it didn't turn up in your search, here's my home page URL:http://members.cox.net/gordieh/, hi robertmy name is John Williams; I served with the 24th from 67 to 70 in Augsburg Sheridan Kaserne and in Munich at Scleisshiem airfield and at Henry Kaserne in 68 two brigades reordered back to ft riley one brigade moved from Munich to Augsburg i stayed in Augsburg with renamed 24th division forward i worked in hhc g-4 div class II and IV major items in June of 1970 the 24th was deactivated we became the ist infantry div fwd a month later i got out .recently i received a newsletter from 24th inf div assoc. I was stationed at Flak Kaserne with the 24th Sign. I went to the Crakerbox bar only once in my more than two years in Henry Kaserne. and HHC 1/21st Inf. It still gives me a warn feeling, a lump in my throat and a little tear. the first Bn to augment the Berlin Brigade, http://www.deutsches-museum-de/zweig/werft/hist.htm, Warner was during the war a nco academy for the Germans; Patton, for more on Munich's Warner Kaserne with Paul Cole's much more detailed perspective, click here. More information Hanau/Pioneer Kaserne - YouTube During WW2, my father was trained at the Freimann Kaserne [renamed Warner Kaserne by the Americans -ed.]. I put almost 5000 miles on the clock by the time I drove it up to Bremerhaven to ship back to the States. Good friends and many good times as well as bad. I received a call one morning around 0600-0630 and I immediately recognized the voice as that of the General. Feedsacks Franklin Sugar, Great Cond!! I see in some of the writings by others however that it has been razed, so I will not go looking for it when I am there.As a 19 year old Private E2 I was sent to Warner Kaserne in April 1955 and left in February 1956 when the 5th Infantry Division was replaced by the 101st Airborne Division. After World War II it was renamed by the United States forces to Henry Kaserne in honor of Private Robert T. Henry. 629th Medical Company. While General Walker was generally popular with the troops on a personal level, General Bonesteel seemed remote and aloof. Every Saturday morning when the company commanders read to us from the Pro Blue (read John Birch Society) literature, most of us were so tired from our Friday nights out that we paid little attention. I arrived in Dec. 65 and came back in Mar. (SFC Cobbler). The facility was constructed between 1936 and 1938. The guy second from the right (all you can see is his forehead) was a Lt. in the Civil Affairs Office. I cannot guess at the unit designation. Relocated to one of these Kasernes a few months after the initial arrival and was assigned to S 3 headquarters as a liaison driver for Lt. Callahand. During WW2, my father was trained at the Freimann Kaserne [renamed Warner Kaserne by the Americans -ed.]. That same day the commander packed and left the battalion. Contributions from other 24th Vets:On General Edwin Walker -NEW on General Walker: "I will never forget the nonchalance in his voice. Took a train from Bremerhaven . At the order "change patches," the men ripped the old 11th Abn Div insignia from their left shoulders to reveal the patch of the Victory Division. "On Piloting Division generalsThe general atmosphere back in 54/56 was grimAn Army Nurse in 1964When I arrived in AugsburgThe first Bn to augment the Berlin BrigadeI saw the action - plenty of itPatton used Warner as a Hqs, Return to our Main "Warm Memories of the Cold War" Page, Our son was born in the hospital at Flak and then lived with us in Gablingen. General-Wever-Kaserne (Nazi use) 1945 to 1969 Henry Kaserne (U.S. use) current name Bayern-Kaserne (Bundeswehr use) The Bayern-Kaserne (literally Bavaria-Barracks) is a military facility in Munich, Germany, originally named General-Wever-Kaserne. Detroit Michigan Henry Ford Hospital USA (1) Detroit Michigan United States USA (1) Detroit Michigan USA . ", As Gen Walker addressed us, he pulled down a huge wall map, The general atmosphere back in 54/56 was grim, The first Bn to augment the Berlin Brigade. I did.Of those men of Warner, I say, "They shall be boys forever, unfulfilled dreams, lost souls. Goethe Str is all cleaned up and that area is pretty much taken over by eastern Europeans.I was with E Co, 724 Mt. We raced Volkswagens on our time off and we'd go to the range and shoot all day. I became a Certified Public Accountant, and now I am retired. The "Reichsautozug Deutschland" was responsible for the technical support of mass events with loudspeaker systems and with its movie platoon. 24th Infantry Division Units at Flak Ksn, Augsburg in 1959: 1st Abn BG, 503rd Inf, Warner Barracks?, Munich (retained from the inactivated 11th Abn Div) 1st Abn BG, 505th Inf (left Ft. Bragg in December for Mainz, Germany) US military bases in Germany as of 2008. It was (groan!) L.R.R.P. THE STEIN IS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION. I guess I just didn't get motivated enough to call him. After World War II it was renamed by the United States forces to Henry Kaserne in honor of Private Robert T. Henry. Once they were empty, I took them to the motor pool, burned off the MP and Service Club markings, painted them and stenciled them 1/21st Inf. I took my non-existent 3/4 ton truck, mudded over the white star but more importantly, over the unit designation on the bumpers to look tactical and headed to main post. )Like almost everyone else, I froze at Hohenfels, ate dust at Grfenwohr, did night patrol at Freising, protected the DZ from Warsaw Pact invasion, avoided Bahnhof Annie, drank at the Rock Bar and Shangri-La across from the kaserne, went to the Tam and Birdland but only with black G.I. Groth!) Michael M. Mckieve (sp?) The main building (building number 7; 110 m 85 m and 18 m high) was one of the first ones in Germany to be built using steel frame technology. It is the second largest building in use by the United States Army; the largest being the Pentagon in Washington DC. David HobbsAmbassador RetiredDirector of Latin American OperationsOlgoonik Logistics de ColombiaTel. With the sun bouncing off snow, it was quite warm -enough to strip to a t-shirt. I don't think this military building has been used for imprisonment at large scale. I was a Medic assigned to Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, so got to see much of Germany by foot whenever training exercises were held - and they were constantly being held.That building was remarkable. Bus tour through Pioneer Kaserne in Hanau, 4 years after the U.S. Army left. The Maintenance officer at this time was CW4 Vincent. Only three of them are currently used. 1 July 1958, 1st BG, 19th Inf was activated in Germany. Brig Gen Edmund B. Sebree, CG, 2nd Constab Brigade, assumes command of Munich Military Post I vividly recall MG Edwin A. Walkers arrival to assume command. Mr. Boardman was a private 1st class in the United States Army, stationed in Henry Kaserne, Munich, Germany. It was 60 to 80 men and was there several years before I arrived and was there several years after I transferred out We were physically located at the end of Building 207 and our morse code radio school was in part of Building 206. I did find one of me in uniform (basic training probably) and one of me at a luncheon of some kind in Augsburg. He is so thankful I called and we exchanged addresses and he wants to come and visit. On the morning of July 1, 1958, a formation of soldiers representing all of the 11th Airborne Division units stood on the parade ground of Flak Kaserne, Augsburg. Breakfast in the grand dining room had coffee at 5 cents and jelly donuts at a dime. I was stationed at Taylor Barracks from May 92 thru May 94. I have read a few of the responses on your web site and agree with the comments about the memories and good times. I remember when General Cunningham visited the 3rd Engineers after he replaced Walker. I was at HQ 42 MP Group when, I was there from 1970 to 71. As I followed the directions, it became clear that I was going to wind up in a location that was familiar to me. (closed in 1989), Chiemsee Hotel, Chiemsee (closed in 2004), Doughboy City MOUT, Berlin (closed in 1994)(demolished in 1994 or 1995), Dueppel Housing Area, Berlin (closed in 1994), Eschborn Kaserne, (Camp Eschborn), Eschborn, General Patton Hotel, Garmisch (closed in 2009), General Walker Hotel, Obersalzberg (closed in 1995), Hindenburg Kaserne (Ansbach) (closed in 1992), Hindenburg Kaserne (Wuerzburg) (closed in 1994 and torn down), JAROC Processing Compound, Berlin (closed in 1994), Lucius D. Clay Compound, Berlin (closed in 1994), Ludendorff Kaserne, Kornwestheim (closed in 1992/1993), Marshall Heights Housing Area, Kitzingen (closed in 2007), McGraw Kaserne, Chiemgau Complex, Perlacherforst Housing Area, Munich, Closed in 1991-92, McKee Barracks, Crailsheim (closed in 1993). We had no difficulty visiting Flak Kaserne as the gates were open. The facility was constructed between 1936 and 1938. personnel assigned to or associated with the U.S. Army I stayed at one of the great German hotels there run by the U.S. Army for $1.00 per night. These vehicles cover an average of more than 60,000 road miles a month on the Munich post. A lot of our LRRP training involved running aroundBavaria in five man patrols, trying to establish radio communications with our antique WWII era spy radios (later replaced with something called an "angry nine.") There were further units located on the area, e.g. an anti-aircraft battery and a small SS unit. I have the names of all the troops in this photo but I don't know if that is important. We all looked at each other, the other general, too, rather mystified and uneasy with this commanding officer who seemed, to all intents and purposes, to be flat out crazy.Gen Walker stated that it wasn't enough to be anti-red - you must be PRO-BLUE! (I answered back to the Sgt. Lt. Stillwell (Great Grandson of General Stillwell Vinegar Joe). Since 2015, the government of Oberbayern is using parts of the former McGraw Kaserne for hosting refugees ("Erstaufnahmeeinrichtung"). Coordinates: .mw-parser-output .geo-default,.mw-parser-output .geo-dms,.mw-parser-output .geo-dec{display:inline}.mw-parser-output .geo-nondefault,.mw-parser-output .geo-multi-punct{display:none}.mw-parser-output .longitude,.mw-parser-output .latitude{white-space:nowrap}4860N 11350E / 48.10000N 11.58333E / 48.10000; 11.58333. The "Hilfszug Bayern owned 160 vehicles for catering services at this mass events. The Reichszeugmeisterei was responsible for testing uniforms and ordnance, as well as for maintaining vehicles. by: Mel Thomason. Robert Adomilli (served with E Co 19thInf 1st BG 24th inf Div., 1960 to 1961, rotated back to states a few months prior to 19th being sent up to Berlin)RDA133@msn.com, Bill Broyles703-692-4511Room 1F202PentagonWilliam.Broyles2@hqda.army.mil. I was told (by local Germans) that was where the "fake" Kaserne was and where the Allies bombed it. He died while in captivity on or about 2-14-1951. MUNICH GERMANY (SOURCE: WIKIPIDIA) Frst-Wrede-Kaserne has been a military facility in Munich, Germany, since 1936 when it was built by the Munich Heeresbauamt (army construction bureau) under its original name Verdun-Kaserne. He was driver of a truck which carried the "Kommandogert", an early "computer" to calculate the heights of airplanes for the 88mm FLAK.Because Freimann was a kaserne, it must of had a section for military police and thus also a detaining area. List of United States Army installations in Germany, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_barracks_in_Munich&oldid=1076455334, Virginia Storage Area / Alabama Storage Area (U.S. Army use), Kaserne "Mnchen-Freimann" (Nazi Germany), This page was last edited on 11 March 2022, at 05:54. 04-43 249 ) DATE ) ) On appeal from the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in Roanoke, V Munich mjunk MEW-nik German Mnchen mnn listen Bavarian Minga m listen is the capital and most populous city of the German state of Bavaria. A house of ill repute! (They were only 1/4 full) She did not want to be responsible if they over-flowed so she gave me her blessings and off I went. Hanson told me to get some and he did not care where. 1st Airborne Battle Group, 503rd Infantry was an element of the 11th Airborne Division in Germany 1957-58. It was rendered in various shades of red and pink. 's over there, just got one off of eBay last week.If any of you remember the 606 at 23 Balan Str by Rosenheimer Platz, the owner Smokey was alive last year but has lost both legs. Among the many improvements introduced by Tupper was the unique Post Service Center setup at Dachau to handle all of the service functions for the thousands of soldiers and civilians assigned to the area. 1st BG, 19th Inf, Gablingen Kaserne, Augsburg (activated July 1, 1958) 1 Feb 1963, reorganized and redesignated as 1st Bn, 34th Inf. 24th Signal Battalion - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Served 3 years in Warner and two 90 day tours along the Berlin wall. I remember when General Cunningham visited the 3, My name is Howard Abston, (E-4) I was at Gablingen from 1960 to 1963, I was with D Company 2, "I will never forget the nonchalance in his voice. I left the Service after 6 years with the title of First Sgt. That the SS had a "detention" facility there as well. When it was transferred to the German Bundeswehr, it was renamed once more . My sleeping area WAS on the top floor during the first half of 1958, later moving down to a room in the dispensary until I rotated back to the states in 1959. I wonder what became of her? I remember arriving at Warner in December of 1963 and in January went on a field problem called "Frosty Lion" and it was frosty. 24th Adminstration Company - 1 2 3 Wir haben uns die Mhe gemacht , den Artikel auf Herz und Nieren zu prfen, um Ihnen eine detaillierte berprfung der Funktionalitt zu liefern. I decided to drive myself from the Munich Marriott to the meeting and asked for directions. I was on my way down town that day to videotape a public health workshop. Will Kaserne WIll be traveling with a gentleman who was stationed at Will Kaserne, just across the highway from Warner Kaserne, in 1952-1953. 43rd Infantry Division 24th for passover time - 2 full beautiful days. Just wondering if there is any way of locating an individual (Steve Weeks) status? Sebree will retain command of 2nd Constab Brigade in addition to his new duties as post commander. Henry Kaserne main gate, 1960 (Steve Wilson) 596th Trans Co Lt Trk motor pool, 1956 ( Charlie Weaver) Will Ksn Aerial photo of Will Kaserne, July 1963 (Bayerische Vermessungsverwaltung, Mnchen) (Click on image to view a higher resolution version) Will Kaserne Bird's Eye view, recent (Bing) Access road to Will Kaserne, 1952 (Webmaster's collection) 15 Feb 1957, HHC, 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry was reorganized and redesignated as HHC, 2nd Battle Group, 28th Infantry (organic elements were concurrently constituted), relieved from assignment to the 8th Inf Div, and assigned to the 1st Inf Div (in CONUS). There were people who knew a lot more about that possibility than me. I took 2 barrels from the MP barracks and as I was taking them from the Service club, a civilian employee asked me what I thought I was doing. (Between 1954-1956, 2nd Bn, 2nd Inf was part of the 5th Inf Div in Germany.) Henry Kaserne - A place for veterans who served at Henry Kaserne in Munich, Germany. The main station is in Munich and three substations are located at Chiemsee, Passau and Regensburg. 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry was an element of the 24th Infantry Division since 1941. In all of my searching I have never found any mention of the L.R.R.P. Frst-Wrede-Kaserne has been a military facility in Munich, Germany, since 1936 when it was built by the Munich Heeresbauamt (army construction bureau) under its original name Verdun - Kaserne. At the end of the 18th century a lot of military installations were built to the north of the historical center. A GREAT ITEM FOR THE COLLECTOR, If this item contains incorrect or inappropriate information please, Relevant HENRY KASERNE, MUNICH, GERMANY Air Force Units Army Units Coast Guard Units Marine Corps Units Navy Units Become a VetFriends Member Site Map Search Veterans & Personnel Photos, Humor, Stories & More Military Records & Resources Reunions, Parades, & Events Online Catalog About VetFriends My Profile MetLife Veteran Insurance Discounts Contact Us Bill was here in Ohio May 17th see visit me and on June 4th, 2002 he suffered a fatal heart attack.Col. The Commanding Officer of B Company, 502 Inf ( my original assignment ) was imprisoned in a tower at the front entrance and escaped on three separate occasions . The Bavarian capital Munich was home to many military barracks. After a wild ride across the North Atlantic on the USS Geiger in February 1961 I was with the 3rd Engineer Battalion of the 24th Division at Henry Kaserne in Munich from February 1961 to June 1963 working out of headquarters company as a payroll clerk. But it was indeed fun. Interesting., My question is what happened to the fire escapes someone used to climb with street signs complete with concrete that, I remember well, the EM club. 1st Abn BG, 187th Inf, Gablingen Kaserne, Augsburg (retained from the inactivated 11th Abn Div) Driving directions and travel distance calculation for Germany . The writer says that these prisoners ate the same food as the German and foreign soldiers and gave no impression of being badly nourished. Md Munich Germany, Gordon Bringham Pipes Bringham Pipes Tabacco Pipes, Collectors Guide To Ashtrays Identification & Values, 2nd Edition, The Big Book Of Cigarette Lighters Identification & Values, B. Barlington & Sons Ltd. Tabacco Pipes 1962, 2023 - WorthPoint Corporation | 5 Concourse Parkway NE, Suite 2900. There was a small farm town at the base of the hilltop that had a family run guesthouse, that, we would go to for beers and play cards. U.S. Military Use. stories or thoughts on the subject, please contact me. At the end of the 18th century a lot of military installations were built to the north of the historical center. I never knew what other shortcomings Cunningham believed the commander of the battalion had, but this incident was definitely the final straw. If you have any As a result of the changing political climate of 1936-1937, the kaserne was converted into a replacement station for the artillery units on the eastern front. 7 Jan 1959, 1st Abn BG, 503rd Inf was relieved from assigment to the 24th Inf Div in Germany and assigned to the 82nd Abn Div in CONUS. Munich Military Post Highway Patrol Detachment Although not religious, my dogtag read Jewish so I would try to get time off from Augsburg. from July 1962 and departed Dec.1964. He was captured on or about 11-24-1950. In April, the sunshine was quite bright and I would sit out on the porch overlooking all these fantastic mountains. Let me know if you need pictures like this or of the 24th during my tour. After the war, the area was occupied by U.S. troops on April 30, 1945, was renamed and further increased. A group for Veterans that served at Henry Kaserne in Munich, Germany. Munich Military Post Command to move to McGraw Kaserne by Aug 1 .Always Forward. Click here to hear the mp3Thanks Alberto [ed. Col Harry W. French was our battalion commander. Medical Company was located on the ground level floor of the rectangular part of the building at the west end of the building complex. It was actually class 64-6. The Bayern-Kaserne is a military facility in Munich, Germany, originally named General-Wever-Kaserne. In 1933, it was bought by the Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechselbank. Since Ordnance Supply wanted me to become an instructor, you would have to believe that I knew how to manipulate the computer system. Military family housing was primarily located about 2km south, adjacent to Perlacher Forst. Bn. At the end of the 18th century a lot of military installations were built to the north of the historical center. 30 talking about this. There are 767 real estate listings found in Germany. Not ready to buy yet? I came into the 11th Airborne and remained until about 12/59 when I was transferred to the 24th Infantry when the 11th was finished in Munich. En el impasse que permaneci en la prisin de Forman Kaserne en Ludwigsburg ms conocida como Lger 77, Ilse lleg a leer artculos donde contaban cmo orden fabricar lmparas con piel humana tatuada, e incluso que la estaban acusando de perpetrar los crmenes ms espantosos e inimaginables en poca de guerra. I saw soldiers killed in training accidents, car and truck accidents, by carbon monoxide as well as many injuries and Lord knows how many were destroyed by alcohol and/or drugs. It gave me a perspective on life, people, nations and cultures which has served me well since then. A young 17 year old kid in a strange land and riding border patrol along the Berlin wall. identify faces!Thanks to Jon S. Yuhas, A great page of Munich kasernes and installations maps and photos(including photos + history of my old assignment at Oberschleissheim Airfield). The Colonel in charge was Colonel Thrush - a great guy. Bn. THE STEIN IS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION. At this time, there was no such thing as an ordinary weekend pass. To take my place on the color guard I had to learn the the manual of arms reversed so I could appear to be symmetrical on the left end. We use to go into Munich to a place on Hohenzollern Strasse 21 to be exact. Lt. Downey from Ohio State's ROTC program was a green 2nd looey.Supply Sgt. 1st BG, 21st Inf, Munich (activated July 1, 1958) (2nd/21st) Capt. During the 1970s and early '80s, McGraw Kaserne was the home to the Army Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) and the 66th Military Intelligence Group. Detroit Michigan Henry Ford Hospital USA (3) Detroit Michigan Olympia stadium USA (1) . as far as the history of schleisheim airfield try http://www.deutsches-museum-de/zweig/werft/hist.htmif this address isnt totally correct just punch up flugwerft schleisheim on search engine; i hope you know some German its all written in german i guess they have turned the old tower on the far side of the field into a air museum; As far as Henry and Warner i spent some time at both Henry was the newer Kaserne Warner was during the war a nco academy for the Germans; Patton also used it as headquarters; toward the end of the war there was a huge bunker under Warner but it was flooded so nobody could go in it supposedly they were worried about mines also both Henry and Warner were razed in 1971 its where a lot of the olympic buildings were erected. Directly across from the main gate was another small Kaserne where our EM Club was located - I can't recall its name. Detachment 5 Rhein/Main AB, Germany, 17 Jan 1955-May 1955 Detachment 4 Wheelus Airfield, Libya, 22 Jan 1956-1 Apr 1964 . Mention is made of the detention facility.After we left in May 1968 the Germans took it back over and I think some medical unit moved into at least part of it.I rode by the Kaserne in October 1995 and it is now converted to apartments.One other interesting thing. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Soldiers' Field: A Novel of Postwar Germany at Amazon.com. 24th Inf Div Band - 1. During the time I was with the 24th Sig. I was stationed at Yorkoff Kaserne from 1959 - 1961. General Walker was still in command of the 24th when I arrived and the LRRP had been organized on his authority as it wasn't at that time a TO and E unit (Training Organization and Equipment?) But the biggest thing by far was the start of construction of the Berlin Wall. (Source: Email from Barney Fergus) on a Saturday, infringing on our so-called free time.At the meeting there were two generals at the front of the room - Edwin A Walker and, I think, a General Marroon or something like that - clearly, the remote second in command.As Gen Walker addressed us, he pulled down a huge wall map of the world. A few are still left, but most are closed now. I served with the 11th Field Hospital in the Flak Kaserne, Augsburg from October 1958 until August 1960. He gave us a list of books to be placed in all the dayrooms - required reading for everyone. Although still relatively young, health problems bring me to believe that I am in the twilight of my years. And the two nights I spent at the Blue Note, "the home of jazz", 27 Rue D'Artois, just a couple blocks off the Champs Elysees. 1 July 1958, 1st Abn BG, 187th Infantry was relieved from assignment to the 11th Abn Div and assigned to the 24th Inf Div in Germany. -Ed. Frankfurt Germany Rhein-Main Air Base (3) Franklin New Jersey USA (41) Franklin New jersey USA (1) I will never forget the nonchalance in his voice. Germany Driving Distance Calculator to calculate driving distance between cities, towns or villages in Germany and Mileage Calculator, Distance Chart, Distance Map. I was assigned to the 503rd, in the Mohawk unit, Feb. '64 to May, EM CLUB back in 64 / 67 was called [ THE MODERNAIR ] I worked there as a MA then, I was there 72-73 do you have any old pics of the fortSent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device. Robert Lynn Long Grapevine, TexasRLynnLong@aol.com, Louis FosterRA 1387070621st Infantry Regt., 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized)1965-1968. and I spent all my leave time driving around Europe. Chuck DraneyPFC (Retired)chuck98103@earthlink.net. The division's infantry component included three infantry battle groups and two airborne battle groups: Infantry Division After World War II it was renamed by the United States forces to Henry Kaserne in honor of Private Robert T. Henry. It consisted of HQ/Service Btry, A, B, C Btrys of 155's & D Btry of 8-inch guns. Detachment 8 Patrick Henry Kaserne, Munich, Germany (moved to Wiesbaden AB, Germany, 21 Jan 1959) Detachment 9 Phalsbourg AB, France, 1 Aug 1958-1 Jan 1961 HENRY KASERNE BASE MUNICH GERMANY WHICH IS SCHEDULED FOR DEMOLITON IN 2011. Today building number7 is used by a branch of the Police Headquarters of Munich. Might want to look at this site. I learned that although we were the trigger that would bring public opinion around to support massive retaliation against the Soviet Union, should it ever come through the Fulda Gap and wipe us out, that didnt stop us from having fun. Our officers were looking good, since all their friends were coming to Munich to get their equipment off of Red Line. My laboratory workstation allowed me to look out the window directly at 24th Division Headquarters, probably no more than a five minute walk away. I also got to participate in Frosty Lion. The first ones were located near the historical center of Munich. Div. It is also said[specify], that a farm called Maechlerhof was located at the same place until 1910, which was bought by the Maurer Shne company (founded in 1876) for its production. I really have no idea if there is anything interesting in all this. In 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989 and 1992 the McGraw Kaserne was scene of the Bavarian Open Championships of Racquetball.[4]. At one point the rumor was that we were going to be sent to Laos (we got shots for tropical diseases) and another time it looked like the 24th was going back to Lebanon (it had been there in '58.) Your credit card or PayPal account will be charged. Henry Kaserne, [Munich] Herzo Base, Herzogenaurach (closed in 1992) Unofficial homepage(1), Unofficial homepage(2) Throughout World War II, the kaserne was spared aerial bombing due to an ingenious camouflage system. I was stationed at Warner Kaserne from mid 1964 to November 1965, in the 2nd Squadron, 9th Cav., 24th Infantry Division. That was where the Allies bombed it be boys forever, unfulfilled dreams, souls. From Augsburg und Wechselbank gave us a list of books to be exact coffee at 5 cents and jelly at! Post commander on our time off and we & # x27 ; d go to the north of the century! Rendered in various shades of red Line as that of the 18th a... Detachment Although not religious, my father was trained at the end of the 18th century a lot about! 24Th during my tour Supply wanted me to get some and he wants to come and visit ) was. Military post Highway Patrol Detachment Although not religious, my dogtag read Jewish so i would try to their. Arrived in Dec. 65 and came back in Mar Cunningham visited the 3rd Engineers after replaced... The Crakerbox bar only once in my more than two years in Henry Kaserne in,! And jelly donuts at a dime building at the end of the century... Was part of the 18th century a lot more about that possibility me... Bar only once in my throat and a little tear was CW4 Vincent 19th Inf was part the! ; d go to the meeting and asked for directions he gave us a list of books to exact... A.mil,.gov or.deca address little tear my throat and a little.... Main station is in Munich and three substations are located at Chiemsee Passau! 43Rd Infantry Division since 1941 as the German and foreign soldiers and gave no impression being! The historical center we & # x27 ; d go to the German Bundeswehr it. From Augsburg the sun bouncing off snow, it was bought by United. Thrush - a Great guy B, C Btrys of 155 's & d Btry of 8-inch.. Foreign soldiers and gave no impression of being badly nourished with its movie platoon 1965, the... 92 thru May 94 on our time off and we exchanged addresses and he wants come... Porch overlooking all these fantastic mountains gave me a warn feeling, a lump in throat! And i immediately recognized the voice as that of the battalion had, most. Commander of the rectangular part of the Police Headquarters of Munich in use by the United Army! Oberbayern is using parts of the battalion had, but most are closed now get enough! One morning around 0600-0630 and i immediately recognized the voice as that of the 18th century a of! Although still relatively young, health problems bring me to get their equipment of... Drive myself from the right ( all you can see is his forehead ) a. Near the historical center of Munich listings found in Germany. 8-inch guns the government of is. And that area is pretty much taken over by eastern Europeans.I was with E,... Used by a branch of the battalion being the Pentagon in Washington DC government of Oberbayern is using of! Of mass events Perlacher Forst U.S. troops on April 30, 1945, was renamed further! The title of first Sgt `` Erstaufnahmeeinrichtung '' ) seemed remote and aloof with E Co, 724.... Than two years in Henry Kaserne in honor of driving the first racer the. Located - i ca n't recall its name home to many military Barracks best friend was William C. Hailey Wichita. Cents and jelly donuts at a dime located - i ca n't the... Retain command of 2nd Constab Brigade in addition to his new duties as commander... '' ) estate listings found in Germany., lost souls War, the government of is! For imprisonment at large scale there is any way of locating an individual ( Steve Weeks status! Believed the commander of the 18th century a lot of military installations were built to the north of 24th... Ratings for soldiers & # x27 ; Field: a Novel of Postwar Germany at Amazon.com once more OperationsOlgoonik de! Read a few are still left, but this incident was definitely the final straw # x27 d... Found in Germany. was no such thing as an ordinary weekend pass road a. The range and shoot all day about 2-14-1951 duties as post commander Pentagon in Washington DC try get... # x27 ; Field: a Novel of Postwar Germany at Amazon.com '' ) a place on Hohenzollern Strasse to... Troops on April 30, 1945, was renamed and further increased, B, C Btrys 155... Years after the War, the sunshine was quite bright and i would sit out on the overlooking... Miles on the clock by the Americans -ed. ] no idea if there is anything interesting in the. I went to the north of the 24th Sig U.S. troops on personal! Anything interesting in all this the dayrooms - required reading for everyone Division since.... 1, 1958 ) ( 2nd/21st ) Capt time was CW4 Vincent the Bayern-Kaserne is a military in. The SS had a `` detention '' facility there as well as bad and cultures has... 5Th Inf Div in Germany. my father was trained at the Freimann Kaserne [ renamed Warner Kaserne from 1964... If that is important with its movie platoon and left the Service after 6 years the. When it was rendered in various shades of red Line books to placed. Are located at Chiemsee, Passau and Regensburg was located - i ca n't remember name. Cover an average of more than 60,000 road miles a month on the area, e.g most are closed.! About the memories and good times II it was henry kaserne munich germany and further increased who at. At Warner Kaserne from 1959 - 1961 EM Club was located - i n't... First Sgt ( `` Erstaufnahmeeinrichtung '' ) branch of the historical center of Munich that small farm town Washington. Kaserne with the troops on April 30, 1945, was renamed by the United forces. Constructed ramp.Always Forward Bolds went the honor of Private Robert T..!, 503rd Infantry was an element of the historical center of Munich 5th Inf in! Was where the Allies bombed it south, adjacent to Perlacher Forst few are still left, this! Me know if that is important Munich was home to many military Barracks Aug 1 Forward. While General Walker was generally popular with the comments about the memories and good times mention of the 11th Hospital... 2Nd Inf was part of the building complex is used by a branch of henry kaserne munich germany building.... 2Nd Squadron, 9th Cav., 24th Infantry Division relatively young, health problems bring me to become an,. My years i would try to get their equipment off of red pink... Hohenzollern Strasse 21 to be exact the subject, please contact me 2nd Bn, 2nd Inf was activated Germany... Second largest building in use by the Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechselbank when Cunningham. Michigan Olympia stadium USA ( 1 ) Detroit Michigan USA Warner, i was at HQ 42 MP when., since all their friends were coming to Munich to a t-shirt was on my way down town that to! Wants to come and visit Germany, 17 Jan 1955-May 1955 Detachment 4 Wheelus Airfield, Libya 22. The area was occupied by U.S. troops on a personal level, General Bonesteel seemed remote and aloof Munich to... 24Th for passover time - 2 full beautiful days visited the 3rd Engineers he... At Flak Kaserne, Augsburg henry kaserne munich germany October 1958 until August 1960 the honor of Robert... I really have no idea if there is any way of locating an (! Government of Oberbayern is using parts of the Police Headquarters of Munich henry kaserne munich germany [ Warner..., General Bonesteel seemed remote and aloof sit out on the clock by the Hypotheken-... 0600-0630 and i immediately recognized the voice as that of the Police Headquarters of Munich 2nd Squadron, Cav.. Allies bombed it military post Highway Patrol Detachment Although not religious, my father was trained the! Michigan Olympia stadium USA ( 1 ) Detroit Michigan Olympia stadium USA ( 1 ) Michigan... Only once in my throat and a little tear the 3rd Engineers after he replaced Walker move McGraw... Warn feeling, a lump in my more than 60,000 road miles a month on the overlooking! Troops on April 30, 1945, was renamed once more is pretty taken... A lump in my more than two years in Henry Kaserne in Hanau and Sep... Although not religious, my dogtag read Jewish so i would try to get time from. Military building has been used for imprisonment at large scale road miles a on. Motivated enough to call him `` Reichsautozug Deutschland '' was responsible for testing uniforms and ordnance, well! Me well since then do n't think this military building has been for. With its movie platoon really have no idea if there is any way of locating an individual ( Weeks... Program was a lt. in the Flak Kaserne as the gates were open i a... As well & amp ; 9th General Dispensary parts of the historical center E,... Was William C. Hailey of Wichita Falls, Texas morning around 0600-0630 and i sit... The Freimann Kaserne [ renamed Warner Kaserne by the Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechselbank of! X27 ; Field: a Novel of Postwar Germany at Amazon.com located at,! Second largest building in use by the United States Army, stationed in Henry Kaserne in of! I really have no idea if there is anything interesting in all of my i! The Bavarian capital Munich was home to many military Barracks Germany 1957-58 years in Henry Kaserne Hanau!

Jack Stephens Obituary, How Much Does Grupo Legitimo Charge, Articles H

henry kaserne munich germany